It’s Friday! Many runners are not only happy that it’s the end of the work week but excited that tomorrow is long run day. Yay! If you have a long run planned this weekend then you may already be planning your fuel. The general rule of thumb when running for longer than an hour is to intake 30 – 60 grams of carbohydrates per hour. The options are endless for mid run fuel such as gels, goos, and gummies. However, the taste of energy snacks can be less than desirable or can just plain upset your stomach. Below are whole food options for your mid run snacks that pack plenty of carbs and a delicious flavor that you don’t have to be on a run to enjoy.
- Dates – Dates can pack a lot of sugar into a small package. If you have trouble eating while running and need to pack as much whole food sugar into as small a package as possible, give these a try. 1/2 cup, 207 calories, 50 grams carbs
- Fig Newtons — These cookies have just as much sugar as dried fruits but not as much fiber and may then be easier for your GI Track to handle. 2 cookies, 198 calories, 40 grams carbs
- Raisins— A small box of raisins are easy to find at any local grocery store. They come in their own small, travel size box ready to go. No prep work needed so it’s a nice, no brainer option. One small box, 123 calories, 33 grams carbs
- Squeezable Fruit – There is a recent craze of squeezable fruit pouches. They can be found in the baby food isle as well as the canned fruit isle of your local grocery store. The beauty is that there are so many options to choose from, they are portable, easy to consume. If you have extra time on your hands, another option is to create your own using fillable squeeze pouches. For example, using a mushed banana in the pouch then freezing prior to your run gives you a chilly snack for a hot day. 1 large banana,121 calories, 31 grams carbs
- Trail Mix – You have to be very careful about this one because you don’t want a mix that is heavily comprised of nuts that can weigh you down or wreck havoc on your GI track. A personal favorite happens to be the basic mix that has yummy salted peanuts to aid with hydrations and plenty of raisins and candy coated chocolate for a carbohydrate rich boost for your muscles. 1oz, 140 calories, 13 grams carbs